St. Michael's Church, Liverton, is a typical example of the simple Moorland church. It is located in fields just to the north of the village of Liverton, one field to the west of the road. The layout is simple - a 30ft long nave makes up the bulk of the church, with a narrower 18ft wide chancel at one end and a sizeable porch at the other.
The church was originally built in the 12th century, and part of a 12th century door can still be seen on the outer northern wall of the nave (inside the remains of the door are covered with plaster). The chancel arch also dates to the 12th century, and some older stonework can been seen at the western end of the north wall and in the southern corners. The plain circular font also dates to the 12th century.
The church was largely rebuilt towards the end of the 18th century, when the walls were repaired and heightened. The walls were plastered at about the same time. The church was restored in 1902-3, and at this point the plaster was removed from the chancel arch. During this restoration the current windows were installed while a gallery, plaster ceiling and square pews were removed. Two new bells were installed in the modern bell-turret.
The church was mentioned in 1218 when Henry son of Conan granted it to Guisborough Priory. It then became a parochial chapel with Easington parish, with a curate installed by the parson of Easington.
Grid Reference: NZ 711 159